A week and a half without reliable Internet access means these these blog entries are being published retroactively.
Today I turned my attention to Let’s Make Our Bed Together, which has been lagging behind the progress made on the other songs. In my mind, it this is going to be quite a simple song, but that doesn’t necessarily make the task of composing it easy. You have to a lot of faith in the strength of your song to keep it simple. I’d cite Bill Withers as the master of this art – songs such as Use Me and Ain’t No Sunshine are mainly just two chord affairs with a lot of confidence.
From brainstorming melodies last week I had a piece which seemed like a verse and refrain. This I’d done acapella: apart from the chord progressions I’d been writing out. It’s often a slight disappointment to discover when I look for a melody in this way the result is something rather crude harmonically. Though I was happy with what I’d sung, when I worked out the chords beneath it I realised it was just a simple I-II progression. In this instance, I embraced the lack of dynamic, and in fact, simplified things even more so that the verse was entirely on one chord, with the change to the minor coming only when the refrain kicks in.
For a while, I toyed with the idea of making those two chords the be-all and end-all of Let’s Make Our Bed Together. But ultimately (and this happens a lot), I denied my inner Bill Withers and inserted two mini-choruses and something chordally a bit more complex to provide the song a little relief from the dominating groove. I then spent the rest of the day working on the lyrics until I felt it had more matured out of an idea and into a prototype.
Finally, I got out of bed early to record a quick demo on the rooftop of the Nour El Balad hotel: most of my songwriting over the Christmas period has taken place here.